CLEAR II is a four-year, United States Department of Labor funded project that aims to work cooperatively with host governments, providing technical assistance to support a global reduction in child labor. Using targeted activities, CLEAR II will partner with governments to enhance their capacity to reduce child labor, and support their goals to make meaningful efforts to implement actions described in the USDOL’s most recent child labor report.CLEAR II has four intermediate objectives that will lead to the increased capacity of host governments to reduce child labor, including its worst forms:
1. Improvements in legislation addressing child labor issues, including bringing local and national laws into compliance with international
2. Improvements in monitoring and enforcement of laws and policies related to child labor;
3. Effective implementation of national plans of action on child labor;
4. Enhanced implementation and improvements in polices and social programs aimed at the reduction and prevention of child labor, such as increasing
access to basic education and vocational training, increased social protection services, and employment creation and poverty reduction
Winrock International and its partners Lawyers Without Borders and Verite are using an approach with three integrated pillars: (1) Authority to Act: Strengthened Legal Framework—Host country governments will have the capacity to analyze legislation and produce a clear legal, institutional framework that adheres to international standards and commitment; (2) Ability to Act: Improved Enforcement—Technical assistance that supports government ministries, institutions, and industries to strengthen current judicial and legal frameworks to enhance their ability to enforce child labor laws; (3) Incentive to Prevent: Better Supported Social and Economic Programs—CLEAR II will enhance governments’ capacity to effectively implement National Action Plans to address child labor and mainstream child labor reduction programming through line ministries.
CLEAR II will support the following innovations with host governments to reduce child labor:
• An International Advisory Council to provide technical guidance and support;
• An online Global Learning Platform that offers worldwide access to tools, resources, and materials, and facilitates cross-country learning through chats and blogs;
• Ongoing technical support, both in country and remotely from expert organizations: Lawyers Without Borders, Verité, and Winrock International.